The Most Unusual Monterey Travel Packages
They Might Spook You or Save Your Marriage
Say "goodbye" to the days of boring hotel packages
being offered on the Monterey Peninsula. Some new package plans include a
stay in a haunted hotel looking for ghosts, a Monterey Bay Aquarium package
where you get to take home your own aquarium, and an "out-of-the-doghouse"
romance package guaranteed to save almost any relationship. Unlike most
hotel packages, these unique activities can be combined as a package with
any hotel, motel or inn to fit any budget.
Monterey Peninsula Reservations (MPR), a locally owned
hotel room finding service in Pacific Grove, has set up a wide variety of
creative packages to excite even the most seasoned traveler. Package options
are detailed below:
Ghostly Adventure - Take a historical, 90-minute tour
of historic Monterey with local historian Gary Munsinger. Walk past hidden
graveyards, sites of murders and hangings, and several haunted houses. You
may even see spirits emerging from a window or two! Package includes:
- One nights stay at the Monterey Hotel (ghost
sightings-said to be haunted) in a room with one queen bed, non smoking
including a continental breakfast.
- Dinner for two at Stokes Adobe Restaurant ($50 dining
certificate) where people have seen two different ghosts.
- A historical ghost tour for 2 of Old Monterey with
- A reading from Mrs. Laurie, a local psychic who can
attempt to get messages from loved ones that have "crossed over."
Swim in the Aquarium & Take it Home - Enjoy, two,
two-day adult passes to the famous Monterey Bay Aquarium and bring back your
own aquarium tank to enjoy and remember your trip. While you're in town,
take up snorkeling and swim along many of the aquariums sea creatures in
their own, natural habitat (or take a scuba dive if you are a certified
diver). Package includes:
- A one nights stay at the Victorian Inn or Monterey
Plaza Hotel (both just a 5 minutes walk from the Aquarium). Other hotels may
be substituted based on price range.
- Two, 2-day adult passes to the Monterey Bay Aquarium
including their brand new shark exhibit.
- A 5 gallon aquarium starter tank complete with
everything (lighting fixture, flip-top opening, power filter, fish food and
conditioner) you'll need to bring the aquarium experience home with you.
- Scuba diving instruction or snorkeling or scuba dive.
Out-of-the-Doghouse - Have you ever forgotten your
wife's birthday or wedding anniversary? Taped a sporting event over your
wedding video? This package is designed to help mend broken fences and get
your relationship back on the path of happiness. Package includes:
- Romantic bonfire at sunset at Carmel beach (wood,
blanket, and smores provided)
- Dinner for 2 at the Old Bath House Restaurant ($100
- Guest room in a romantic B&B with fireplace (starts
at $125 and up)
- Room decorated with rose petals, spring flowers,
candles, bath salts and massage lotions.
- Breakfast in bed
- Picnic lunch to take down to Big Sur for short stroll
in Julia Pfeiffer State Park up to a 40-foot tall waterfall.
- Couples massage, side-by-side
- A special message spelled out in leaves on our
largest community sand dune as you head into town.
All packages are subject to availability and
restrictions. Available Sun-Thurs based on availability. In addition to
creative packages, MPR also offers an objective online guide to the area
detailing many little or unknown places to go and things to do at
www.montereyvisitorsguide.com -- including unique ways to propose.
For more information please contact Brian Borgia,
owner, at 831-655-3487.
Edited by Dave Shultz